See how good attendance is recognised in our school in the Achievement Section.
Every half-day absence from school has to be recorded by staff at the school as either AUTHORISED or UNAUTHORISED. This is why information about the cause of each absence is always required, by telephone on 01270 871107 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on each day of absence.
Authorised absences are mornings or afternoons away from school for a good reason like illness or other unavoidable causes. The school will determine whether an absence is to be unauthorised or not. Unauthorised absences are an offence by the parent under section 7 of the 1996 Education Act. These may include:
- keeping children off school without a good reason
- truancy from a whole session
- absences which have never been properly explained
- children who arrive at school too late to get a mark
- taking unauthorised holidays
- Registers – Our school day has two legal sessions. Period 1 also counts as AM registration and afternoon form time counts as PM registration. As part of our commitment to safeguarding and our whole school ‘Behaviour for Learning‘ system, the register is taken every lesson by every teacher. Any pupils who are missing from a lesson who have been present in previous lessons are identified by the class teacher and a message is sent to our Attendance Officer to investigate.
- Punctuality – Period 1 which is also our legal registration starts at 8.40am.All pupils should be at their classroom ready to learn at this time. Pupils who arrive after this time will be recorded as late and will be issued with a same day break time detention.The Attendance Officer will determine whether the lateness is authorised.
- Holidays – Unless there are exceptional circumstances holiday requests will not be approved or authorised. If you choose to take an unauthorised holiday you may be issued by the Local Authority with a Fixed Penalty Notice. Please see our Attendance Policy for more information.
Our school attendance for 2019 – 2020 has increased to 96.1%*
Attendance at Alsager School has been well above the National Average since 2013
It is our objective to ensure that our students are successful and a key element of this is good attendance.
Parents are kept regularly informed of their children’s attendance via termly reports sent home. At Alsager we celebrate and reward our students attendance in a number of ways, including awarding golden lapel stars for 100% attendance termly as well as for the whole school year, the Golden Ticket half termly prize draw and celebrating students who have the top BFL grades with no absence on a four weekly basis.
An attendance figure of 90% means a student will have missed 4 weeks of lessons.